The public libraries of seven former councils in the Auckland region amalgamated and became Auckland Libraries on 1 November 2010.
You can use your existing library card at any of the 55 library branches and 4 mobile libraries. Borrow and return items to any library from Wellsford to Waiheke to Waiuku.
Joining Auckland Libraries is free for residents and ratepayers of the Auckland Council region.
One city. Auckland Libraries; 55 libraries. All yours.
Working together to build a world class library of the future, today.
- Auckland Libraries is the largest library group in Australasia.
- Auckland Libraries has free lending collections and a small number of rental collections.
- Library members can request an item from any of the libraries in Auckland Libraries for free.
- There is free internet access at all libraries. Some libraries have wireless internet. Rules of use vary so check with your local library.
- Events and programmes include Wriggle and Rhyme: Active Movement for Early Learning for babies; storytime for toddlers; book clubs for teens and adults; guest speakers and author talks; movie nights; school holiday programmes, computer learning classes and more.
- Other services include multicultural and migrant services; research; meeting rooms and spaces; and more.
- There are approximately 3.5 million items in the collection including fiction and non-fiction books, sheet music, CDs, DVDs, games, audio books, foreign language and reference materials. *
- The Digital Library includes over 100 databases which provide access to the world’s information and e-audio books which can be downloaded.
- Approximately 16 million items are borrowed from libraries during the year. These 16 million items are also returned, and then re-shelved, equating to 48 million handling transactions.*
- Approximately 12 million people visit Auckland libraries during the year. They come to browse, borrow, read, use the internet, learn and find information, study, meet friends, attend an event or a computer skills class.*
- Approximately 3.9 million internet and wireless internet sessions are used during the year.*
*Based on the 2009-2010 year information.back to top