Auckland Libraries hold a number of maps of current and historical interest. These include:
- topographical and topological
- 19th century ordnance survey maps of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland
- maps to aid family history research
- recreation and tourism maps
- nautical charts
- auction plans
Many of these maps are listed on the Auckland Libraries catalogue.
There are heritage map collections at the following locations:
Māori maps on selected topics are available in Te Kohinga Matua – Māori reference collection, Central Auckland Research Centre.
Sir George Grey Special Collections
Special Collections at the Central City Library is home to a selection of rare and interesting maps and atlases. The collection contains many items of historic significance, and there is a strong emphasis on Auckland content.
Find out more about Special Collections’ maps and atlases.
- A selection of maps from the Sir George Grey Special Collections have been catalogued and digitised. Online material includes the George Church collection and a variety of significant maps from throughout New Zealand.
Search for maps in Heritage Images.
- Maps of Symonds St Cemetery is an online exhibition of the Symonds Street cemetery maps held in the Sir George Grey Special Collections.
- Manukau’s Journey includes a small selection of Counties-Manukau maps published online.
Browse the Gallipoli maps showcased in the slideshow below and read the blogpost in Heritage et AL.