Auckland Libraries holds a wide range of heritage photographic resources.
The Digital Library contains a wide selection of heritage images and photography eResources, including searchable image databases and online exhibitions:
- Heritage Images is a growing selection of over 100,000 digitised images from photographic and map collections including Winkelmann, Firth, Richardson, Radcliffe, Young, Schmidt and the Auckland Weekly News. Geographically the collections include material from central Auckland and around the region.
- Local History Online is a combined collection of heritage images from the former Rodney, North Shore and Waitakere Libraries. The collection includes digitised images of the North Shore from the late 1800s to the present, with images from the Albert Chan Auckland Harbour Bridge Collection; images digitised from a donation of photographs from the Nor'West News, a Western Rodney community newspaper; images from the J.T. Diamond Collection, the Frank Morris Collection and the Albert Jones collection.
- Footprints is a selection of digitised photographs and other images relating to South Auckland and the Counties-Manukau area, including selected photographs from the back files of the South Auckland Courier, Manukau Courier and related titles, as well as photographs from local historical societies, private collections and a number of noted South Auckland photographers (including Alton Francis, Murray Freer and Trevor Penman).
- The Photographers Database is an index of many of the photographers who have worked in New Zealand from the 1840s to the present day. Many of the records contain details of their careers, professional relationships and places of work.
Sir George Grey Special Collections
The photography collections held in the Sir George Grey Special Collections contain over 500,000 images of New Zealand from the 1840s to the present day. There is a strong emphasis on Auckland in the collections. Highlights include historic surveys of Auckland buildings and architecture, social portraits, landscapes and cityscapes, advertising images, magazine and newspaper negatives and over 250 individual photo albums.
Heritage photograph collections
Some of the research centres and community libraries hold significant heritage photograph collections:
- The New Zealand Collection housed at Takapuna Library provides in-depth coverage of the history of the North Shore, including historical photographs dating from the late 19th century to the present.
- The Angela Morton Collection, held at the North Auckland Research Centre, is a reference collection of books and other materials covering the visual arts of New Zealand from pre-European times to the present day.
- The East Coast Bays Local Archives at East Coast Bays Library include about 1,000 photographs from the 1890s to present. Includes W.J. Ellis and Ian Morris collections.
- The South Auckland Research Centre heritage collections include more than 15,000 photographs covering the history and development of South Auckland and the Counties-Manukau area. Some are available online in the Footprints eResource. The Courier Collection consists of photographs from the back files of the South Auckland Courier, Manukau Courier and related titles [1963-2002].
- The J.T. Diamond Collection at the West Auckland Research Centre includes photographs gathered by John T. Jack Diamond over a 60 year period.