A guide to the history of street names in Papatoetoe.
The details for each street apply only to the first part of that street that was formed (the time when the name was given to the street).
Sometimes the owner of the property being sub-divided gave the new street its name, and sometime it was left to the Town Board or the Council. Many streets were extended at a later date when a different property owner subdivided the adjacent land. All Borough streets were renumbered, and some streets and parts of streets were renamed, in September 1951.
The Papatoetoe Historical Society, particularly Ross Murray, made this index available. It was last updated in 2002.
Abelia Place: 1975, DP 76806, 3.75 hectares. Abelia is an evergreen shrub.
Albert Road: 1925, DP 18428, 3 acres owned by Albert (Bert) G. Grinter, and was named after his son.
Alexander Avenue: 1951, DP 38621, 4 acres owned by Mrs M.A. Burns, whose husband was Gordon Edwin Alexander Burns.
Alison Avenue: 1927, DP 20589, 8 acres owned by I. McFarland. Off Bledisloe St, name later changed to make it part of Fitzroy St. Named after his daughter who was 15 at the time.
Allen Avenue: 1950, DP 38222, 7 acres owned by Jack Franich. Named after his son, Alan (note the difference in spelling).
Allenby Road: Was O'Hara Road, name probably changed at time the road was formed and metalled, about 1919. Named after Field Marshall Viscount Allenby, who Commanded the cavalry in France and Palestine in World War I.
Ashlynne Avenue: 1926, DP 20068, 19 acres owned by W. McGowan. Named after the farm house on the 189 acres of Crown Grant land obtained by the Rev George Buttle, which he named Spring Farm. It was bounded by Portage Road, Station Road, Spring St, and went out towards the Great South Road. Name shown as Ash Lynne in Wises Directory.
Atkinson Avenue: 1926, DP 18037, 110 acres owned by Clendon Park Ltd, named after Sir Harry A. Atkinson, Premier four times between 1876 and 1891.
Atkinson Avenue: 1926, DP 20144, 26 acres subdivided by W.J. Tait, M.B. Kirkbride, as trustees. Name changed to Franklin Road in 1951.
Avis Avenue: 1925, DP 18450, 10 acres owned by Mr R. Parker Hill and Mrs L. M. Hill. Named after their daughter. They owned a large wheat or oat farm on Carruth Road before the land was subdivided.
back to top
Bairds Road: 1922, DP 15832, 166 acres owned by Wm Jas. O'Hara, named after Baird family who owned much more land from 1850 onward.
Ballance Avenue: 1926, DP 18037, 110 acres owned by Clendon Park Ltd, named after John Ballance, Prime Minister 1891 -1893.
Barrie Avenue: 1956, DP 43646, 31 acres owned by R.V. Trimmer. Named after one of his two sons, Barrie.
Beaufort Place: Named by the subdivider, Neil Housing, possibly after one of their staff.
Bells Road: Paper road, not formed until about 1964. Bell family had farm opposite early in the 1900s, name changed to Campana Road1977.
Bendale Place: 1972, DP 68170, 6 acres owned by R.A. and P.R. Rapley.
Bernard Street: After Alfred Bernard (Bainey) Stonex, who had owned the farm.
Birdwood Avenue: Was Green Lane, changed in 1919. Named after General William Birdwood, Commander of the Mounted Rifles at Gallipoli. Formed southern boundary of Mr John Watson's land.
Bisley Street: 1971, DP 65119, 1 acre owned by N.E. Margan (Holdings) Ltd
Bledisloe Street: 1927, DP 20589, 8 acres owned by I. McFarland. Named after Lord Bledisloe, Governor General 1930 to 1935.
Brett Avenue: 1960, DP 48002, 16 acres owned by A.E. and O. Rickards, named after their grandson, Brett Finlayson.
Bridge Street: Bridge built over the railway line in 1926, when railway was levelled out considerably. Ground had to be built up considerably to get clearance. Obvious name for the street.
Brooklyn Avenue: 1957, DP 44690, 2 acres owned by N.R. Tindall.
Brooks Way: 1923, DP 17496, 3 acres of which the larger share was owned by R.K. Brooks and the remainder by F.C. & A.A. Weller. Name shown on DP as Brooks Way, not Brooksway.
Bruce Place: 1960, DP 48403, 9 acres owned by Cosy Homes Ltd. Buckingham Cres 1960, DP 48169, 3 acres owned by S.A. & A.E. Buckingham, who owned poultry farms in Allenby Road.
Buckland Road: After Mr W.T. Buckland, who was granted Allotment 54 by Crown Grant in 1850. There was also a Bucklands Road in the Mangere and Otahuhu area, which in 1937 was described as having 2 business premises and 23 residences.
Burrell Avenue: 1958, DP 46950, 2 acres owned by E. Burrell & Sons.
Butler Avenue: 1951, DP 39245, 4 acres owned by Mrs E. Butler. Mr Butler had owned the garage where the road was put in.
Cambourne Road: 1926, DP 19616, 5 acres owned by E.M. & J. Wallace. As the DP was drawn up with the name of Camborne, this street may have been named after the town in Cornwall with the same name.
Cambridge Terrace: 1927, DP 20291, 13 acres owned by O.B. Snelling, E.W. Webb, M.A.E. Foreman, William Brown (plan drawn 1925).
Camden Place: Formed 1989, off Woolfield Road.
Campana Road: Was Bells Road, name changed 1977.
Carlie Street: 1954, DP 41722, 5 acres owned by H.H. Wrigley. Possibly named after Carlie, the late wife of the owner of the land?
Carolyn Street: 1968, DP 60730, 3 acres owned by L.W. Davis and M.C. Dreadon. Named after a young girl, "the daughter of a friend", possibly the daughter of Mr Davis?
Carruth Road: After Mr J. Carruth who bought Lot 42 from the Wallace brothers in 1860. This land was bounded by St George St, Carruth Road, Puhinui Road, and a line just west of Landscape Road.
Carters Lane: Service lane leading to rear of block of shops owned by Carters Hardware.
Caspar Road: 1954, DP 42198, 5 acres of the large block owned by Mr J.G.G. and Mrs R. Aagaard. Named after their son, Allan Caspar Aagaard, Caspar being a Danish name.
Cavendish Drive: Main part of street in Manukau City.
Central Avenue: 1913, DP 8590, 49 acres owned by John Watson, but "surveyed for F. Western". It ran through the centre of Mr Watson's land, and this name was printed on the DP.
Charles Street: 1958, DP 46790, 6 acres owned by Dominion Breweries Ltd. Possibly named after Prince Charles.
Chestnut Road: 1964, DP 54849, when 16 acres of the Orphan Home land, owned by the Church of England Childrens Trust, was sub-divided. Named after Mr Eric Chestnut, the City Council's Water Works foreman. There had been some discussion on which names to choose for the subdivision, and the Council meeting could not reach an agreement. One Councillor made the facetious comment that they might as well name one of the roads after the Water Works foreman, and as that name was acceptable, this suggestion was taken up. Was it a coincidence that he had married the Town Clerk's secretary?
Claude Road: 1914, DP 9822, 106 acres subdivided "For the Trustees of the Green Park Estate". Named after F.R. Claude who bought all the land north of Puhinui Road, from the western edge of the Cemetery westward to Pukaki Creek, being lots 182-193, except 188. He was the first chairman of the then Papatoitoi Highway Board, 1868-74.
Clendon Avenue: 1926, DP 18037, 110 acres owned by Clendon Park Ltd, named after J.R. Clendon, JP, merchant and ship owner, American Consul 1839-1841, who was given Ã‚Â£15,000 and 10,000 acres as compensation for his 380 acres and buildings in the Bay of Islands that was taken in March 1840 on which the Government intended to develop New Zealand's capital. The northern boundary was the full length of Puhinui Road and Boundary Road, the Manukau Harbour on the west, on the south was Weymouth Road and Ranfurly Road to Brookby, and back to Boundary Road.
Coates Road: 1953, DP 40743, 7 acres owned by G.C. Brewer and M.B. Thomas. Possibly named after J.G. Coates, Prime Minister 1925-1928 who was brought up in the Matakohe area. (Morris Dreadon, whose parents also came from the same area, assisted with the subdivision)
Cornwall Road: 1920, DP 13856, 6 acres owned by Joseph Dreadon, at Coronation Road end. Now part of Shirley Road, from Great South Road to Coronation Road, name changed 1951. Two possible origins of the name:
1. Named by Mr Joseph Dreadon after Cornwall in England, where he came from, when he put in a short length of road off Coronation Road.
2. Named after 16 year old Jack "Boy" Cornwell (note spelling), who won the Victoria Cross at the Battle of Jutland (31 May: 1 June 1916), while serving on the cruiser "Chester", part of Admiral Hood's squadron (this explanation from Bob Closey of the R,S.A).
Cornwall Road: 1958, DP 46107, 17 acres owned by Mr Fyfe. This new road was given this name, after the Council had been told by the R.S.A. of the significance of the name that they had just allowed to be removed from their maps when the previous Cornwall Road was renamed as part of Shirley Road.
Coronation Road: 1910, DP 6602, 58 acres owned by Marcus Madill. Road possibly not formed or named until 1911, the coronation year of King George V. It included the part of Woolfield Road from Coronation Road to the railway line. This later became part of Spring St, and is now part of Woolfield Road. In 1937 the Mangere part was described as 1 mile long, with 8 business premises and 22 residences, and named 35 years before (1902) at the coronation of King Edward.
Creamery Road: From Great South Road to Huia Road: Tui Road intersection. Was shown as Creamery Road on DP 19019 of 1925, later became part of Huia Road as shown on DP 21918 of 1928, still as Huia Road in Wises of 1950, then part of Flat Bush Road as shown in Wises by 1952, which was later changed to Tui Road.
Daphne Road: 1957, DP 44847, 2Ã‚Â½ acres owned by McKerras Bros. Named after Daphne, daughter of Alan and Ida McKerras.
Deering Place: 1960, DP 48517, 1 acre owned by R.F. Deering.
Dennis Road: 1957, DP 45354, 7 acres owned by A.E. Skelton.
Detro Street: It is said that the owner of the land did not want to put a road in that particular place when he sub-divided, but was forced to by the Road Board. He named it Detro, being his contraction of the French term "de trop", meaning "out of place", "not wanted", or "too much".
Dingwall Place: 1983, DP 98414, owned by Dingwall Trust. Name first written on DP was Kakapo Place.
Domain Road: Proposed name for part of Tavistock St, shown on Papatoetoe's 1986 Planning Map, with access blocked at Fitzroy St end. But access was blocked at King St end, and original name retained. In 1937 Mangere's Domain Road (by Mangere Domain) was described as 200 yards long, with 1 residence and named 50 years before (1887).
Dreadon Avenue: 1929, DP 22407, 14 acres owned by Mrs A.E. Dreadon, John Bryant, Stanley Buttle. Mrs Dreadon was the widow of Joseph Dreadon, and mother of Morris Dreadon who later subdivided many small pockets of land. The family lived in the house on the bend of Kolmar Road, later owned by Dr Donald, then Dr Edgar, and now the Rest Home called Kolmar Lodge.
Dryden Avenue: 1947, DP 34600, 15 acres owned by J.H. Dryden and N.E. Margan, Contractors who bought the land and subdivided it.
Dunnotar Road: 1913, DP 8911, 22 acres owned by W.W. Reid, S. Harrowell, and M.Y. Morgan. The name may have been mis-spelt, as the famous castle in Scotland spelt Dunottar, situated 22 km south of Aberdeen, was the last to fall to Cromwell's troops in 1652. The owners who developed the land came from Scotland, and may have intended to name it after that castle. The first signs put up had Dunotar at one end and Dunnottar at the other end.
East Tamaki Road: Crown Grant. One of the first roads in the district, leading to East Tamaki.
Eden Street: 1957, DP 44588, 0a-1-31 owned by M.C. Dreadon. Main part of street in old Manukau City.
Edney Lane: To rear of shops in Edneys Building.
Edorvale Avenue: 1961, DP 51204, 4 acres owned by Edorvale Farms Ltd, poultry farmers (H Chadderton, Director). Edorvale was the name of the property, and is said by some to be a combination of the initials of the Chadderton family and their wives. The Electoral Roll shows Edith and Valerie (both married) as two of the six members of the Chadderton family.
Elizabeth Avenue: 1952, DP 40053, where 2 of the 7 acres owned by Mr M. Bryant were subdivided. He owned a poultry farm with 2,000 birds. In this year of the Coronation of Elizabeth and Phillip, the Council had two streets to be named and wanted to use both names. When Mr Bryant was asked if he had any preference, he chose Elizabeth as he had a daughter of that name, so Phillip was given to the other street.
Ellen Lane: Named after Mrs Mary Ellen Butler, well known for her work on the petrol pumps at the garage.
Eric Baker Place: Named after a Councillor at the time.
Esperanto Road: 1954, DP 42908, 8 acres of the large block owned by Mr J.G.G. and Mrs M.M. (Rita) Aagaard. Mrs Aagaard was very involved with the world language Esperanto, and there was an effort throughout New Zealand at that time to try and get the name used.
Evelyn Street: 1951, DP 39290, 8 acres owned by Mrs O. Evelyn Smutts-Kennedy.
Fairview Road: 1921, DP 15218, 136 acres formed by the amalgamation of land owned by A.C. Lipscombe, H. Milligan, H.K. Jones, F.C. Western, and I. McFarland. May have been named because the view across the wheat fields from its vicinity used to be very pleasant, but note that A.C. Lipscombe had lived in Fairview Rid, Mt Eden, before moving to Yates' farm at Karaka. He later moved to Papatoetoe and this was one of the streets named in the sub-division that he was involved with.
Fenton Street: 1955, DP 42638, 4 acres owned by M.C. Dreadon.
Ferndown Avenue: Main part of street in old Manukau City.
Fitzroy Street: 1924, DP 18610, 36 acres owned by H. Millington and others. Named after Robert Fitzroy, Governor of New Zealand from 1843 to 1845. Part at Wallace Road end was Hunter Road, changed after 1949, when it became joined to the longer part from Carruth Road. Part at Bledisloe St was Alison Ave, name changed before 1949.
Flat Bush Road: Road leading to the district of that name. Part from Great South Road to Huia Road was part of Huia Road, name changed 1951. Part from Great South Road to Motorway changed to Tui Road to avoid confusion, 1959-60.
Fox Avenue: Proposed road in residential subdivision 1921, from Grayson Ave to school grounds.
Franklin Road: Part at Buckland Road end was Atkinson Ave, name changed 1951.
Fraser Avenue: 1948, DP 35529, 21 acres owned by J.H. Dryden and N.E. Margan. Name changed to Seymour Ave in 1951 at the request of Seymour Gubb and Phillip Wakelin, previous owners of the land.
Fraser Road: 1954, DP 42261, 3 acres owned by M.C. Dreadon. Probably named after Peter Fraser, the first full time Borough Engineer, 1952-1960.
Freyberg Avenue: Was Grey Ave, renamed in 1951 after Sir Bernard Freyberg, V.C. and seven other military decorations, who was active in World War I. Recalled from retirement in 1939, he became Commander of the New Zealand Forces in the Middle East. Was Governor-General 1946-1952
Fyfe Avenue: 1950, DP 38079, 3 acres owned by R.E. Fyfe.
Gifford Road: 1920, DP 13843, 56 acres owned by John Wyllie (plan drawn 1917). Named after the "Jane Gifford", the ship in which the first Wyllie family came to NZ.
Glasgow Avenue: 1926, DP 18037, 110 acres owned by Clendon Park Ltd. Named after the Earl of Glasgow, Governor of N Z 1892 -1897.
Glen Avenue: 1930, DP 23034, 5 acres owned mainly by B.A. Girdwood, with small pieces from land owned by W. Bennett and W. Dulihanty. Short length formed at the end of Warwick Ave, and was named with the understanding that it would later be joined up with Glen Road formed earlier.
Glen Road: 1927, DP 20406, 5 acres, most of which was owned by Sam McCullough, with a very small piece owned by George Runciman. Named after their house "Rouken Glen", a name which Mr and Mrs McCullough had picked up during their trip to Scotland in 1913. Later joined up to Glen Ave, and name changed.
Glen Mary Place: Named by the subdivider, Neil Housing, possibly after one of their staff.
Gordon Road: 1926, DP 20068, 19 acres owned by W. McGowan. Named after his son, Gordon McGowan.
Grande Vue Avenue: Name shown on DP of sub-division, may have been changed by the Council when approving the name.
Grand Vue Road: 1922, DP 16826, 6 acres formed by the amalgamation of two 3 acre blocks owned by M. Harbottle and D. Finlayson. Name probably descriptive only.
Grange Road: Shown as Hall Road on DPs of 1956 and 1957. Shown as Grange Road on DP of 1965.
Grantham Road: 1954, DP 42908, 8 acres of the large block owned by Mr J.G.G. and Mrs M.M. (Rita) Aagaard. Named by them, as they imported Health Foods from Grantham, England.
Gray Avenue: After Isaac Gray, land owner and member of the then Papatoitoi Road Board 1913-16.This extended into Mangere.
Grayson Avenue: 1960, DP 48002, 16 acres owned by A.E. and O. Rickards, named after their son-in-law, Grayson Finlayson.
Great South Road: Crown Grant. Name obvious, was metalled as far as Drury by 1863, and concreted as far as East Tamaki Road by 1928. Note that the first bridge over the Tamaki river had wooden spans, with a swing bridge section to allow boats through. It was too narrow for the wider 2 horse drays of the day.
Green Lane: Changed to Birdwood Ave 1919.
Grey Avenue: Shown as that spelling on first Planning Map of 1928, should be Gray Ave.
Grey Avenue: 1926, DP 18037, 110 acres owned by Clendon Park Ltd, probably named after Governor Grey. Name changed to Freyberg Ave in 1951, probably because of confusion with Grey Ave.
Guide Place: Formed to serve the parking area for the Rugby grounds, and as access to the Girl Guide Hut, the first building to be put on the Reserve land.
Halcyon Place: 1965, DP 55109, 3 acres owned by Manukau County Council. It is beside the Tamaki River, so perhaps a kingfisher was seen during the surveying or the construction, thus leading to the name chosen.
Hall Road: Shown on DPs of 1956 and 1957, now Grange Road as on DP of 1965.
Hall Road: Now part of Motatau Road, from Great South Road to Kautami Ave. Named after Mr A.W. Hall, M.P. 1929, who owned the property between Hall Road and what is now Papatoetoe Intermediate School.
Hamilton Road: 1928, DP 21522, 11 acres owned by George Kimpton. Originally named Overton Road which was a Kimpton name.
Hayward Road: 1929, DP 22677, 11 acres owned by Mr J.H. Bradstreet.
Henwood Road: Off Tui Road, the Henwood family lived in the large house at the corner of Huia Road and Tui Road. Now part of Overton Road. It is shown on DP 16098 of 1922, as owned by A.W. Hall. Street goes from Tui Road almost to Hamilton Road. It was to be named after the Henwood family who lived on the corner of Tui Road and Huia Road. However, this street was not formed at the time, and when the adjacent block was sub-divided in 1928, Overton Road was shown as going from Kimpton Road to join on to the proposed Henwood Road. A street plan of about 1946 shows the full sub-division with Henwood Road printed on it, but hand written at the side were the words "unformed, not dedicated". Whitcombe and Tombs street maps of about 1959 shows Overton Road covering the full length. It seems that Henwood Road was named but never formed, and when the street was eventually formed it was as part of Overton Road. Part is in Mangere.
Hill Road: 1925, DP 18476, 67 acres, owned by A.E. Coe. Name descriptive only.
Hillcrest Road: 1925, DP 18476, 67 acres, owned by A.E. Coe. Name descriptive only.
Hillside Road: 1920, DP 13843, 56 acres owned by John Wyllie. Short length off Pah Road formed when Wyllie farm, "Hillside", was sub-divided in 1920. Main length of road formed 1925 when Hill Road and Hillcrest Road were formed.
Holden Place: 1962, DP 51521, 4 acres owned by Mr N.M. Aicken, named after the motor car he had at the time.
Holroyd Place: Named after Mr M. Holroyd who owned the poultry farm in East Tamaki Road which was developed.
Hooker Place: 1964, DP 54323, 13 acres owned by Anglican Orphan Home Trust. Named after Miss Ada Hooker, Matron of the Anglican Orphan Home from 1919 to 1937.
Hoteo Avenue: 1923, DP 18284, 10 acres owned by H. Roy and C. Seymour Gubb. Roy named it after Hoteo, near Helensville, where the family had come from.
Hugo Lane: (off Sutton Cres)
Huia Road: Crown Grant. Part from Great South Road to Tui Road was Creamery Road, became part of Huia Road by 1944, then became part of Flat Bush Road in 1951. Huia is a native bird, much prized by the Maoris for its feathers which were used to decorate their korowai cloaks.
Hunter Road: 1929, DP 22677, 11 acres owned by Mr Jack Hunter Bradstreet, off Wallace Road. It retained its name even after it was connected to the existing Fitzroy St which came from Carruth Road. Following a request from Mr Cartmer, a resident, it was renamed as part of Fitzroy St in 1951, because people were having difficulty finding the street.
Ihaka Place: 1972, DP 67479, 4 acres owned by G.A. & L.R. Bright.
Jellicoe Avenue: Proposed road in residential subdivision 1921, now Grayson Ave.
Jennifer Place: 1956, DP 44289, using a number of small pieces of land owned by M. Dreadon, Public Trust, H.K. Baker, E.H. Scott, C.A. Winstanley, and T.H. Russell. The subdivision was organised by M.C. Dreadon. It was named after Jennifer Jones, a very popular little local girl who had died in 1954 of leukaemia, aged seven.
Kakapo Place: 1977, DP 81901, 1.82 hectares owned by Dingwall Trust. Name first written on the DP was Dingwall Place.
Katautau Road: Shown in Wises directory, 1940-41, should be Kautami Road.
Kautami Avenue: 1926, DP 20840, 14 acres, approximately half owned by Philip Wakelin and half by Seymour Gubb, both fronting onto East Tamaki Road.
Two possible origins of the name:-
(a) Named by Philip Wakelin. Should have been spelt Kuatami Road, but the Road Board put it down incorrectly. Likely meaning, kua="action" has been completed, tami="press" down or smother, so it may have meant that something has been pressed down.
(b) Named by Seymour Gubb. He had seen the word on a cabbage tree in Hoteo before he came here, and thought it sounded alright. One likely meaning kau="empty" or bare, and tami="smother" or press down, so it may have been a tree that had died or been weighed down after being smothered by other growth. Seymour Gubb thought it meant "been and gone".
Street extended in 1948.
Kelliher Lane: Possibly named after Sir Henry Kelliher, as the new Hotel is opposite in Charles St.
Kenderdine Road: 1923, named by the Orphan Home Trust when some of its farm land was sold off, after Dr T.B. Kenderdine who had started a home for orphans in Parnell. Farm bounded by Wyllie Road, Puhinui Road, and the Railway was bought in 1906 in order to shift the Orphan Home from Parnell. Dr Kenderdine had died in 1894.
Kimpton Road: After the Kimpton family who bought a part of lot 18 (bounded by Tui Road, Huia Road, East Tamaki Road to beyond Bairds Road, Kimpton Road). George Ralph Overton Kimpton subdivided the land in the 1920s.
King Street: 1924, DP 18610, 36 acres owned by H. Millington and others.
Kingswood Road: 1927, DP 20406, 5 acres owned by Sam McCullough, with a very small corner owned by George Runciman. The street was named by him, but the family do not know why the name was chosen.
Kolmar Road: 1904, DP 3156, named by Hugo Friedlander who owned the Kolmar Estate of 336 acres. He apparently named it after the family birth place in Alsace, close to the German border, but the town is now in France and is spelt Colmar. The Recreation Ground was originally known as the Kolmar Recreation Ground.
Konini Avenue: 1926, DP 20840, 14 acres, approximately half owned by Philip Wakelin and half by Seymour Gubb, both fronting onto East Tamaki Road. Named after a native tree. Street extended in 1948.
Konui Avenue: Shown in Wises Directory 1940-41, should be Konini Ave.
Lambie Drive: 1972, DP 67479, 4 acres owned by G.A. & L.R. Bright. Named after the mayor of Manukau City at the time, Hugh D. Lambie. Main part of the street in old Manukau City at the time.
Landon Avenue: 1929, DP 22348, 2 acres owned by C.W. Landon.
Landscape Road: 1921, DP 15218, 136 acres formed by the amalgamation of land owned by A.C. Lipscombe, H. Milligan, H.K. Jones, F.C. Western, and I. McFarland. Mrs Lipscombe had lived in Landscape Road, Three Kings, before she was married. Mr A.C. Lipscombe lived in Mt Eden before moving to Yates' farm at Karaka. He later moved to Papatoetoe and this was one of the streets named in the subdivision he was involved with.
Lansdown Avenue: 1957, DP 44500, 20 acres owned by L. & B.J. Shaw.
Laureston Avenue: 1956, DP 43649, 8 acres owned by R.H. & C.A. Gordon.
Leith Court: 1970, DP 63097, 4 acres owned by the Manukau City Council.
Lendenfeld Drive: Main part of street in old Manukau City.
Lipscombe Avenue: 1951, DP 38416, 7 acres owned by A.G. Cornfoot. Named after the family who owned the land and had their house on the highest point in Landscape Road. Mr Lipscombe was a farmer who used his land as a trial ground for testing Yates' seeds.
Lismore Place: 1973, DP 70869, 3.27 hectares.
Liverpool Avenue: 1926, DP 18037, 110 acres owned by Clendon Park Ltd, named after the Earl of Liverpool, who was Governor of N Z 1912: 1917, and became the first Governor-General 1917-1920.
Lloyd Avenue: 1956, DP 44010, 9 acres owned by A.E. Skelton.
Lochinver Road: 1957, DP 44500, owned by L. & B.J. Shaw.
McCauley Lane: After the McCauley family that had the general store on the south west corner of Great South Road and Kolmar Road.
McCullough Avenue: 1956, DP 43649, 8 acres owned by RH. & C.A. Gordon. Possibly named after Sam, Bob, and George McCullough, who had retired to the district from their Ardmore farm.
McDonald Road: 1958, DP 46870, 2 acres owned by R.M. Hosken. Name shown as McDonald Place on DP. Named by David Hosken who bought land from Mr McDonald and used it for vegetable growing for a number of years (?).
MacLean Avenue: 1956, DP 43646, 31 acres owned by R.V. Trimmer. Named after his son, Ross McLean Trimmer.
McLaughlin Road: Mr Thomas Morris McLaughlin bought 2846 acres of the Clendon Land Grant, containing McLaughlin's Mountain, in 1845. His son, William, built the homestead 'Puhi-Nui' which is now in the Howick Colonial Village, in 1861.
McLaughlins Road: Name used on a plan of 18, for part of Puhinui Road from Railway to Roscommon Road.
McLaughlins Road: From Puhinui Road to the end of the long drive up to McLaughlin's house, now part of Roscommon Road, and part has been renamed Diversey Dr.
McVeagh Avenue: Proposed road in residential subdivision 1921, Puhinui Road to Brett Ave, not formed.
Mahon Place: 1959, DP 47333, 3 acres owned by the Papatoetoe Borough Council. Named after C.J. Mahon, Mayor at the time, who ran a general transport business, and at one time owned the first regular bus service between Papatoetoe and the city.
Mangarata Avenue: 1951, DP 39410, 3 acres owned by M.C. Dreadon. Named after Maungarata, near Dargaville, where Joseph Dreadon and his brother had a dairy farm before coming to Papatoetoe. No indication of why the change in spelling.
Margan Avenue: 1947, DP 34600, 15 acres owned by J.H. Dryden and N.E. Margan, Contractors, who bought the land and subdivided it.
Margaret Road: 1920, DP 13843, 56 acres owned by John Wyllie (plan drawn 1917). Named after his wife, Margaret Wyllie when the Wyllie farm was subdivided.
Massey Road: Mangere / Manukau. In 1937 the Manukau part had 9 business premises and 28 residences, while the Mangere part was 1/2 mile long, with 12 residences and named 50 years before (1887). William Fergusson Massey was MP for the area and later Prime Minister (1912: 1925).
Matuku Place: 1978, DP 84842, owned by Dingwall Trust.
Maunu Road: 1926, DP 20069, 9 acres that remained from the amalgamation of land owned by A.C. Lipscombe, H. Milligan, H.K. Jones, F.C. Western, and I. McFarland. Origin of name not certain, but one meaning is grey duck. Wild duck were probably fairly plentiful in the low lying swampy areas during Maori days.
Mawkes Lane: Named after Mr and Mrs Mawkes, whose daughter Kitty was wife of the Mayor at the time, Bob White. Her father was a bootmaker whose house was on St George St, with his shoe making and repair workshop in a back room of the house.
Maxwell Avenue: 1948, DP 35529, 21 acres owned by J.H. Dryden and N.E. Margan, who had bought the land from Mr Seymour Gubb.
Meadowcourt Drive: 1971, DP 66795, 7 acres owned by I.D. Murdoch, adjacent to the Meadowcourt Motel and Camping Ground (which had been developed by Allan Barker of Station Road).
Middlemore Crescent: 1956, DP 43645, 30 acres owned by R.K. & B.M. & R.M. Trimmer. Possibly named because it was adjacent to Middlemore Hospital.
Milan Road: 1954, DP 41810, 3 acres owned by Milan Hrstich.
Miles Avenue: 1959, DP 47245, 9 acres, amalgamated from small pieces of sections owned by Mrs B.C. Lincoln, Mrs M. O'Loughlen, A. Reay, R.W. Gilligan, Mrs A.M. Henderson, L. Jacobs, D.G. Tibbits, all of Wallace Road. Named after Brigadier Miles who came to Papatoetoe about 1934, and who lost his life in World War II.
Milton Road: 1925, DP 19344, 7 acres owned by A. Nettlingham at Gray Ave end. Part from Buckland Roadto the bend was Nettlingham Ave, name changed 1951.
Morris Avenue: 1955, DP 42687, 2 acres owned by Morris C. Dreadon, a developer who bought many small blocks of land and developed them.
Motatau Road: 1926, DP 20840, 14 acres, approximately half owned by Philip Wakelin and half by Seymour Gubb, both fronting onto East Tamaki Road.
Means "preparing to count", or "preparing to spell", or possibly "to speak to oneself", although it may have been chosen as a Maori word that sounded well with Kautami and Konini, as all three roads are in the same subdivision.
Part at Great South Road end was Hall Road.
Motautau Road: Shown on one map, should be Motatau Road.
Nesdale Avenue: Access off Roscommon Road to the Nestle Co factory. This area was part of the American Marine Camp site during World War II.
Nettlingham Avenue: 1926, DP 20144, 26 acres subdivided by the property's trustees, W.J. Tait, M.B. Kirkbride, and others, adjacent to land owned by A. Nettlingham (Part of which had just been sub-divided ?). Mr Nettlingham was a member of the Town Board about 1926. Became western end of Milton Road, name changed 1951.
Nicholson Avenue: Name used for part of Portage Road (for a short while), between Station Road and the Railway. Named after W.J. Nicholson ?
Nicholson Avenue: 1950, DP 37607, 5 acres. Named after W.J. Nicholson who was a member of the Town Board 1922-41, and Chairman 1930-38.
Nogat Avenue: 1959, DP 46998, 4 acres owned by House & Home Ltd. Named after Mr Con Nogat who had run a poultry farm on his land between Gray Ave, Portage Road, and the Railway.
Norfolk Place: 1955, DP 43321, 3 acres owned by R. Peck. Probably named because of the Norfolk pine trees there.
Norman Spencer Drive: DP 45309, Main part of the street in old Manukau City. Named after the owner of the Passenger Transport Co when it moved its depot to there from Otahuhu. The bus company was later sold to the Auckland Regional Authority.
Oakland Avenue: 1952, DP 39806, 9 acres owned by Edgar P. Davy. Electoral Roll shows that (Rev) Oakland Edgar Palgrave Davy lived there in 1941, and Oakland may have been a family name. Also, there was a very large oak tree on the property that spread right over the newly formed street from the southern side. This may have been an influence on the choice of name.
O'Hara Road: Mr James O'Hara operated as a blacksmith on the corner of Great South Road. Now Allenby Road, name changed when the road was formed, probably between 1919 and 1923.
Olive Crescent: 1956, DP 43797, 11 acres owned by E.S.C. and R.J. Olsen.
Omagh Avenue: 1927, DP 20879, 8 acres owned by James Daisley, named after his birth place in Ireland.
Omana Road: 1922, DP 16281, 59 acres owned by Joseph Dreadon.
Onslow Avenue: 1926, DP 18037, 110 acres owned by Clendon Park Ltd, named after Earl of Onslow, Governor of N Z 1889 -1892.
Orrs Road: After the owner of the property at the end of Puhinui Road.
Overton Road: 1928, DP 21522, 11 acres owned by George Ralph Overton Kimpton, whose grandmother's maiden name was Overton. Proposed name shown as Overton Ave on DP. Part off Kimpton Road formed first. Part at Tui Road end was Henwood Road, name changed when the two ends of the road were joined. This name was shown on a 1946 plan of the Borough, and is now called Hamilton Road.
Pah Road: 1920, DP 13843, 56 acres owned by John Wyllie. Leads to the old Maori pa site, still visible on the point of land behind the Cemetery.
Pamir Road: 1958, DP 45818, 6 acres owned by Norman R. Tindall. Probably named after the sailing ship.
Papahina Road: Now part of Puhinui Road, from Roscommon Road to the western end. Name changed after 1920. Note Papaahinu Road: 1866, later changed to Papahina Road, now western end of Puhinui Road.
Parera Place: 1978, DP 84843, 2.51 hectares owned by Dingwall Trust.
Park Avenue: 1914, DP 9822, 106 acres subdivided "For the Trustees of the Green Park Estate". In 1937 the Park Avenue in the Mangere area was described as 300 yards long, with 2 residences and named 12 years before (1925).
Paton Avenue: 1913, DP 8911, 22 acres owned by W.W. Reid, S. Harrowell, and M.Y. Morgan. The three blocks had been part of Crown Grant No 37, a 215 acre block bought by Mr Thomas Paton in 1851.
Pembroke Road: 1956, DP 44010, 9 acres owned by A.E. Skelton.
Pettit Place: 1971, DP 66795, 7 acres owned by I.D. Murdoch.
Peverill Crescent: 1922, DP 16250, 24 acres owned by Fred Mulcock. Plan was drawn up 1919, with the name spelt Peveril on DP. Some thought it was named after Peveril Castle, near Manchester, the setting for one of Sir Walter Scott's novels. However, it actually was supposed to have been named Peverel after Hatfield Peverel, just north of Chelmsford, Essex, England, where the Mulcock family came from. When DP 16250 was drawn in 1919, it wasn't signed by Fred Mulcock but by his agent. It seems that neither the surveyor nor Fred's agent knew how to spell the name, so the spelling of Peverill was used on the plan, and this was approved by the Council. The spelling of Peverill seems to have been used from about 1960, and whether or not this started as a simple spelling mistake, it is not now known.
Phillip Street: 1952, DP 39916, 2 acres owned by S.B. Snelling. This was the year of the Coronation of Elizabeth and Phillip, and as the Council had two streets to name and wanted to use both names, Elizabeth was preferred by the owner of one block, and that left Phillip for this street.
Phoenix Place: 1973, DP 70922, 1.05 Hectares. Two large phoenix palms stand at the entrance to the street. Main part of the street in old Manukau City.
Picton Street: 1925, DP 19344, 7 acres owned by A. Nettlingham, fronting Gray Ave.
Plunket Avenue: 1926, DP 18037, 110 acres owned by Clendon Park Ltd, named after Lord Plunket, Governor of N Z 1904 -1910. Name shown as Plunkett Ave on DP.
Plymouth Place: 1958, DP 46107, 17 acres.
Portage Road: One of the two portages used by the Maori people between the Waitemata and Manukau Harbours, this one known as the Pukaki Portage. It was surveyed, and shown on early plans, from the Otaki Creek, at the town end of Middlemore Cres, along what is now known as Portage Road, and right out to the northern branch of the Waokauri Creek. The total distance of the portage was just under 3 km. This portage was used by Maoris wishing to avoid meeting up with the Maoris on Mt Richmond who looked down on, and controlled, the portage at the northern end of Otahuhu. It was especially used by those travelling to Papakura, Waiuku, and the Waikato River. The part between Station Road and the Railway was named Nicholson Ave for a short while.
Preston Road: Part from Great South Road to Boundary Road was part of Puhinui Road, now part from Great South Road to Motorway is Reagan Road.
Prices Road: After A.B. Price who owned the farm along the full length of the eastern side of the road, and later sub-divided it into three smaller farms. For a time this was named on the sign at the Puhinui Road end as Price Road, sometime after the Eastern Access to the Airport was opened. Nothing was done about this by the local residents, but eventually the Papatoetoe Historical Society took up the matter, to try and have the Manukau City Council restore the name to Prices Road. The Council eventually canvassed local residents, receiving one objection, but ultimately the Society was successful in having the name restored.
Puhinui Road: Crown Grant. After the Puhi Nui stream, which in its time had been so named because the tall toetoe plumes (the "puhi nui") attached to a canoe allowed its hiding place to be discovered by the enemy tribe. Part west of Wyllie Road was Papaahinu Road in 1866, and also shown as Papahina Road on a subdivision plan of 1913.
Puhinui Road: Part east of Great South Road became part of Preston Road before 1959, as Otara began to develop, then part from Great South Road to Motorway changed to Reagan Road.
Pukeko Place: 1983, DP 98413, 1.50 hectares owned by Dingwall Trust.
Quintal Place: 1975, DP 76806, 3.75 hectares.
Ramsey Street: 1964, DP 54323, 13 acres owned by Anglican Orphan Home Trust. Named after the Archbishop of Canterbury, England, by the Anglican Church, which was sub-dividing some of the Orphan Home land.
Ranfurly Avenue: 1926, DP 18037, 110 acres owned by Clendon Park Ltd, named after the Earl of Ranfurly, Governor of N Z 1897: 1904.
Rangitoto Avenue: 1929, DP 22059, 14 acres owned by E. Carruth and trustees for B.W. Weston. Short length N E from Weston Ave, name changed to Rangitoto Road after 1947, when it was joined to Rangitoto Road when Dryden Ave and Margan Ave were formed.
Rangitoto Road: 1913, DP 8911, 22 acres owned by W.W. Reid, S. Harrowell, M.Y. Morgan. Rangitoto Island could be seen along the road on a clear day, before trees grew and houses were built.
Ranum Road: 1956, DP 44017, 8 acres owned by Jack Ranum.
Rapley Place: 1971, DP 64815, 9 acres owned by R.A. and P.R. Rapley.
Raymond Road: 1960, DP 48560, owned by Morris Dreadon, named after his son, Raymond.
Reagan Road: Was part of Puhinui Road, then became part of Preston Road by 1980.
Reeves Avenue: 1950 DP 38222, 7 acres owned by Jack Franich. Named after his wife, Ruby Franich, nee Reeves, and also after her mother, Mrs Reeves, who was elderly and lived opposite the street in Coronation Road. Mr Reeves had been a Councillor.
Regent Street: 1928, DP 22057, 7 acres owned by C.W. & A.C. Percy, and Mrs H. Percy. Mr Percy, an Englishman, and being "very English" and a Royalist, he named it after Regent St, London.
Rex Lane (off Great South Road)
Richards Avenue: 1956, DP 44805, 4 acres owned by F. & E. Richards who had a large poultry farm.
Rito Place: 1964, DP 54489, 1 acre owned by D. Withers, E.A. Pook, (?) Lundie, B. Leighton, H.I. Fell, M.H. Ross. A Maori word meaning "the middle of a small area of bush", and possibly referring to the many small pieces of properties that were used to form this subdivision. The first part of Rito Pl formed at this time, the remainder and Winspear Pl formed very soon after.
Romford Road: 1957, DP 4952, 4 acres owned by G.A & J. Bettridge. Named after the town in Sussex where Mrs Bettridge came from.
Roscommon Road: After Roscommon in Ireland where T.M. McLaughlin came from, although his son, W.T. McLaughlin was born in Peru. Part from Puhinui Road to McLaughlins house was McLaughlins Road, name changed after 1939.
Rose Road: 1925, DP 19019, 4 acres owned by J.P.L. Phillips, and was named after his daughter.
Rosebank Road: 1926, DP 20144, 26 acres subdivided by W.J. Tait, M.B. Kirkbride, and others, as trustees.
Ross Avenue: 1956, DP 43646, 31 acres owned by R.V. Trimmer. Named after one of his two sons, Ross.
Sabi Place: 1975, DP 76806, 3.75 hectares.
St George Street: Was Station Road East, changed in 1930 after a competition among the pupils of the Papatoetoe District School. Norman Thomas, in Std 6, was the winner and received 10 shillings for the suggestion. He suggested it because his class was studying that part of English history at the time. It is said that none of the names submitted was really liked, but this was the best submitted.
Sanderson Lane: After Mr Sanderson, owner of the Joinery Shop in Tui Road.
Scott Road: 1913, DP 8590, 49 acres owned by John Watson, but "surveyed for F. Western". This name was printed on the DP. One possibility is that Mrs Watson's widowed aunty, Mrs Janet Scott, had spent some time helping the Watson family during Mrs Watson's illness and subsequent death. Janet Scott died just before the farm was sub-divided, and the road was named in her memory.
Seddon Avenue: 1926, DP 18037, 110 acres owned by Clendon Park Ltd, named after Richard John Seddon, Premier 1893 -1906.
Selfs Road: The property to the south of Portage Road was bought by Mr Self. Only a short part of the road was actually formed, on paper it continued across to Puhinui Road.
Selfs Road: Part off Puhinui Road not formed.
Seymour Avenue: Was Fraser Ave, changed 1951. Named after Seymour Gubb, whose land had been bought by Dryden and Margan. Mr Gubb, supported by Dryden and Margan, requested the change of name. Mr Gubb's house was in East Tamaki Road, and he arrived here in 1920 from Hoteo, near Helensville.
Shirley Road: Named after Shirley Masters by his aunty, who sub-divided the first part beside the Railway Station. Part of Shirley Road from Coronation Road to Great South Road was changed from Cornwall Road in 1951.
Simon Lane: 1977, on suggestion of R.D. Redwood, who had just built his workshop on the last piece of the one acre owned by Mr George Simon. In 1946, while still operating the bakery on the Great South Road, Mr Simon bought and developed this land as a garden which was open to the public, and used for garden parties during the 1950s
Skinner Avenue: At end of Evelyn St, named when lots 35 and 36 were sub-divided in 1951. Now part of Cambridge Tce.
Spring Street: 1912, DP 7737, 14 acres owned by G.W. Blandford. Southern boundary of what had been Spring Farm owned by Rev. George Buttle. A spring close to the railway line provided water for the farm. Part from Railway Line to Coronation Road was originally part of Coronation Road, and was changed to become part of Woolfield Road in 1951.
Stafford Avenue: 1926, DP 18037, 110 acres owned by Clendon Park Ltd, named after Sir Edward William Stafford, Superintendent of Nelson Province, Colonial Secretary, and Member of Parliament at various times between 1855: 1878. Shown as Stafford St on DP.
Staines Avenue: 1958, DP 45905, 6 acres owned by M.C. Dreadon, R.J.D. & D. Staines.
Station Road: Originally went from Portage Road, across the Railway line where the footbridge is now, along part of Shirley Road, and as far as Great South Road at the School Corner. It had no name until the Railway came. Part from Portage Road to the Station was sometimes referred to as Station Road West, while the part from the Station to the Great South Road was sometimes referred to as Station Road East.
Station Road: Incorrect shortening of Wiri Station Road.
Station Road East: Name changed to St George St in 1930, after a competition was held among the children of the District Primary School, and the West was dropped from the other part. Although the Town Board offered a prize of 10/- very few suggestions were received, and St George St was chosen for want of anything better, and the prize was given to Norman Thomas who made the suggestion.
Stonex Road: 1957, DP 44834, 15 acres owned by H.M. Queen. Named after Bernard Stonex who had bought the farm from George Kimptom. As a slice through the middle of the farm was wanted in 1954 for Motorway extension, the Crown took it all over. In 1957 the 23 acres that remained on the Papatoetoe side was sub-divided by the Crown, then sold to Neil Housing for development.
Sumner Street: 1927, DP 21313, 10 acres owned by Fred Mulcock and Allan J. Moody. Named after J.W. Sumner, headmaster of the district school 1888 to 1914.
Sunnyside Crescent: 1956, DP 44458, 11 acres owned by W. Jakich and R.M.B. Roberts. Name not written on the DP.
Sutton Crescent: After the Sutton family who owned the land between the Recreation Reserve and Kolmar Road.
Swaffield Road: 1956, DP 43646, 31 acres owned by M.C. Dreadon. Named after Mr Alex Swaffield who had been on the Council for some time, and was the Chairman of the Works Committee when the road was formed.
Tavern Lane: Access formed to the parking area adjacent to the new tavern.
Tavistock Street: 1924, DP 18610, 36 acres owned by H. Millington and others. Domain Road was the name proposed in 1986 for parts either side of King St, but this change not done. Unformed part on northern side of King St was "stopped" 1991, and sold off.
Tawera Avenue: 1929, DP 22558, 10 acres owned by J.C. Bryant and small pieces from S. McCullough and C. Wallace. Named after Mr Bryant's homestead, which was built at the corner of Kolmar Road. Now part of Wilmay Ave, from Kolmar Road to Wentworth Ave. Name changed 1951. Tawera means "morning light".
Timewell Lane: Mr Timewell had one of the first shops at the corner of St George St and Shirley Road.
Tiny Town: Referred to the southern end of Wintere Road, because the sections in the subdivision, straight after World War I, were all approximately Ã‚Â½ acre, instead of the usual one acre or more. The sections were bought by returned servicemen using their severance pay, as they could not afford larger blocks, and as they started by building houses only as large as they could afford, they looked small on the sections. These houses were enlarged later as finances became available.
Town Hall Lane: Service lane beside and leading to the rear of the Town Hall.
Treagon Place: 1968, DP 59463, 2 acres owned by Bruce Treagon Hosken. It is an old family name, from Cornwall, England.
Trimmer Terrace: 1955, DP 42664, 5 acres owned by E. Davidson, P. & P.C. Griffith. Probably named after Ralph V. Trimmer who had bought a piece of the farm from Mr Woolfield, and whose house stood between Trimmer Tce and Coronation Road. He also owned a farm opposite the Brewery. He later became Chairman of the Northland Harbour Board.
Troon Place: 1966, DP 56910, 3 acres owned by ........ Construction Ltd.
Tui Road: Part from Great South Road to Junction was Creamery Road, became part of Flat Bush Road and was that until at least 1959, then changed to be part of Huia Road, then changed again by 1961 when the part of Flat Bush Road to the Motorway was renamed as Tui Road.
Native bird, white feathers used by Maoris for decorating korowai cloaks. Name possibly chosen because it joined on to Huia Road, which was the name of another native bird. There was also a Tui Street in Manukau, with 7 residences in 1937.
Tutere Road: 1964, DP 54849, 16 acres owned by the Church of England Childrens Trust.
Verdi Street: 1964, DP 54323, 13 acres owned by the Anglican Orphan Home Trust.
Victoria Road: 1921, DP 15218, 136 acres formed by the amalgamation of land owned by A.C. Lipscombe, H. Milligan, H.K. Jones, F.C. Western, and I. McFarland. Possibly named in memory of Queen Victoria?
Victory Road: 1956, DP 44458, 11 acres owned by W. Jakich & R.M.B. Roberts. Name not written on the DP.
Wallace Road: Mangere / Papatoetoe: 1912, DP 7551, 112 acres owned by Mr Wilfred Johnstone, who bought the block bounded by the Railway, St George St, and Puhinui Road in 1909. The road was named after one of his sons, who was a baby at the time.
(Note: James and John Wallace had owned this area at one time, when they were allocated Lots 42 and 43 by Crown Grant, bounded by St George St, Carruth Road, Puhinui Road, and the Railway. James Wallace was a member of the Papatoitoi Highway Board 1876: 85. Wallace Road was not named by them, or after them. The Wallace Road in Mangere was in 1937 described as 1 mile and 110 yards long, with 13 residences and named 50 years before (1887).
Ward Avenue: Proposed road in residential subdivision 1921, part now Brett Ave and part that continued to back corner of Puhinui Primary School was not formed.
Warwick Avenue: 1930, DP 23034, 5 acres owned mainly by B.A. Girdwood, with small pieces from the land owned by W. Bennett and W. Dulihanty. Named after Warwickshire, where Mr Girdwood came from.
Watson Place: 1954, DP 41827, 7 acres owned by M. Dreadon, B. Fox, B.E. Watson, and A.A. Watson. Named after Mr James Watson who bought the area bounded by St George St, Great South Road, Birdwood Ave, and Carruth Road in 1852 and 1853, and was a member of the Papatoitoi Road Board 1918: 20.
Webster Lane: After Mr Webster who had the first shoe store in St George St.
Wentworth Avenue: 1912, DP 8053, 10 acres owned by Mr H. Farnsworth, his house being on the south east corner of Kolmar Road intersection. Mr Farnsworth was an Englishman, and possibly came from Wentworth, a town just north of Sheffield, in Yorkshire.
Weston Avenue: 1929, DP 22059, 14 acres owned by E. Carruth and the late B.W. Weston.
Whites Road: Formed to serve the White's farm and is now Wiri Station Road.
Wilmay Avenue: 1929, DP 22053, 3 acres owned mainly by F.W. May and a long thin strip off the land owned by Fred J. Wills. The new road was put in along the common boundary line. The name was to be Willsmay Ave, but this was too much and was shortened. Part from Kolmar Road to Wentworth Ave was Tawera Ave, name changed in 1951.
Wilmshurst Street: 1967, DP 45649, 2 acres. After Mr B.M. Wilmshurst, Town Clerk for many years.
Windoma Circle: 1974, DP 73321, 3.38 ha.
Winspear Place: 1965, named by Mr Blair Leighton, who owned a poultry farm in Puhinui Road, after his wife, Marjorie Winspear Leighton (nee Tybus), the name being a family name.
Winter Road: This was the original spelling of Wintere Road, and was shown on a map prepared by the Borough Council in 1949.
Wintere Road: 1913, DP 8158, 21 acres "Surveyed for Trustees in Winters Estate", signed by trustees T.R. Clow and John Watson. DP has the name Winter, without the "e". Had been owned by F. Winter, who bought the southern part of lot 38 (bounded by Huia Road, East Tamaki Road, Great South Road). The first part formed was from Huia Road to the family home at No.66 Winter Road. It should still be pronounced as "Winter". Mr F Winter added an "e" to his name to avoid the confusion that often arose between himself and another Mr F. Winter who owned land in the district. In the early days it was also referred to by those around about as Tiny Town because of the number of small houses built along the street by returned servicemen immediately after World War I. These possibly started with one bedroom and were enlarged as the owners' families grew, and as more money became available. They would look very small on the full sized sections.
Wiri Station Road: Was Whites Road.
Wool Field Road: Should be Woolfield Road.
Woolfield Road: Land owned by Thomas Woolfield.
Woolfield Road: Part from Swaffield Road to Railway line was part of Coronation Road, then became part of Spring St, and changed in 1951.
Wyllie Road: One of the first roads in the district, it was originally a half chain wide (10 metres) access track from Station Road to the corner of Pah Road, where the private access to the Wyllie homestead went diagonally across towards what is now Margaret Road.
Wymondley Road: 1922, DP 15832, 166 acres owned by William James O'Hara.
York Road: 1924, DP 18610, 36 acres owned by H. Millington and others.
back to top
Was this page useful?
How can we improve this page?