The research centres house amazing collections of historical and soon-to-be historical newspapers. These comprehensive collections cover our city’s day-to-day history from the 1840s to the present. Some international titles are also included.
Some of the papers have been transferred to microfilm to preserve the original publications. Contact the research centres to find out whether a booking is needed for microfilm/microfiche readers. Scanning and printing facilities may also be available.
You can find location and holdings information for many of the newspaper titles on the library catalogue.
There are heritage newspaper collections at the following locations:
- Central Auckland Research Centre
- North Auckland Research Centre
- South Auckland Research Centre – See a list of local titles held
- The J.T. Diamond Reading Room, Waitakere Central Library
- The New Zealand Collection, Takapuna Library
- Whangaparaoa Library
Local and national newspapers
Newspaper collections include general and special interest community and promotional titles. Some examples of local and national newspapers held by Auckland Libraries include:
New Zealand Herald
Auckland Libraries holds the New Zealand Herald from 1863 – present. The earliest editions of the newspaper are held on microfilm.
You can also:
International titles include:
News and newspaper eResources available in the Digital Library cover regional, international, current and historical topics.
- Heritage Images is a growing selection of over 100,000 digitised images from photographic collections including the Auckland Weekly News.
- Footprints is a selection of digitised photographs and other images relating to South Auckland and the Counties-Manukau area, including selected photographs from the back files of the South Auckland Courier, Manukau Courier and related titles.
Local History Online
Digitised heritage newspapers for the Auckland region can be found on the National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa’s Papers Past.
Take a tour of selected heritage newspaper eResources - find out how to locate historical photographs from newspaper sources, old classified ads, local history stories and more.